Saturday 18 May 2013

Extreme Rules Predictions

Extreme Rules predictions

So Extreme Rules is fast approaching and pretty soon the pay per view that follows the granddaddy of them all will be upon us.

Let's have a look at the match card and allow me to present to you my views on it. This is in no particular order so with that being said let's start off with the pre-show

The Miz vs Cody Rhodes- Preshow

The Miz who made his return on Monday Night Raw from filming his straight to DVD film...I...uh have no idea what it is called because I don't care. He'll take on Cody Rhodes who seems to be doing nothing as of note lately asides jobbing. There's no story line build up to this as it was announced on Monday Night Raw like...John Cena mimics Ryback's heavy breathing...Oh by the way The Miz will take on Cody Rhodes on the Extreme Rules preshow...oh look Primetime Players won, MILLIONS OF  DOLLARS, MILLIONS OF DOLLARS.

So I expect a Miz victory here probably from Cody tapping out to the Figure 4. This really just seems like a throwaway match as there's nothing on the line for either of them so it's not going to be that interesting.

Randy Orton vs Big Show- Extreme Rules Match

Another match that I couldn't care less about, nothing really to do with who is involved but more to do with the basis of the feud, I mean correct me if I'm wrong but it's over the fact that Big Show punched Randy AFTER their tag match against the Shield was over because Randy and Sheamus kept tagging each other in and out the match and essentially ignored Big Show throughout as they didn't trust the Big Show and were worried that he might turn on them and attack them or something. Well gee golly Randy I think you need to look up the meaning of a 'self-fulfilling prophecy’. As for the match I'm seeing a Randy Orton victory after an RKO from out of nowhere, I'm not sure about future storylines for either of these characters but it's not looking to be interesting

Sheamus vs Mark Henry- Strap Match

My hidden gem. I'm thinking that this'll be the standout match of the night or at least a very good match. Mark Henry's trash talking has been epic as of late "Whup you like you stole something boy". His demonstration of how you win a strap match on Josh Matthews was hilarious and just shows just how vicious he can be. However I'm feeling like all of this is just set up for Sheamus to display his strength when he drags Mark Henry's body around all four corners and then you'll hear Michael Cole getting excited on commentary going "OH MY GOD, THAT IS 400 POUNDS, HE IS LITERALLY DRAGGING HIM AROUND THE RING...LITERALLY"...while people like me are just staring at the screen like......"Shut up Cole".

Hmm, I would have said as soon as they announced this match that it's clearly a Sheamus win but after Mark Henry beating the Ryback at WrestleMania I now have my doubts. I feel the finish will be something like Sheamus Brogue kicks Mark Henry and then proceeds to drag him around 3 corners and then come close to the final one but at this point Mark Henry stirs and then gets up, the match continues and Mark Henry performs his World's Strongest Slam or something like that and drags Sheamus and wins. Hopefully this then propels him to be involved in the WWE title scene like he should have been after he beat the Ryback which confuses me but brings me to the next match

John Cena vs Ryback- Last Man Standing

Ryback Ryback Ryyyyback, all those PPV losses has hurt his credibility to be a serious threat, he's had two title match chances, both of which I feel were undeserved and the first I felt that the moment The Rock announced that he'd be facing the WWE champion at the Royal Rumble that there was no way that it'd be The Rock vs The Ryback as it just didn't seem as big as a draw than The Rock vs CM Punk or even The Rock vs John Cena for a second time.

So now that the Ryback has his second opportunity for the title against John Cena do I think he has a chance? I really don't know, I think the original intention was to either have The Rock drop the belt to Cena at Extreme Rules or to have The Rock invoke his rematch clause and then again lose to Cena but injury cut that angle short, so the Ryback has now been thrust yet again into the title picture a little too early, even turned heel in the process which I don't really agree was the right decision but there you go. I don't think the Ryback is a bad heel or anything and people saying that he's awful are just hating on him without solid justification as I felt some of the heel promos he's done has been great especially the promo with Mick Foley where he was menacing and yet had valid points so it wasn't like he was just being ignorant and stupid. It's clearly a case of attacking the man and not the point when it comes to the hatred of the Ryback.

As for the match itself, it's a Last Man Standing match which I think will be interesting because I think the Ryback will take the brute force approach where he'll just beat the hell out of John Cena and stand over him in an effort to show that he's superior, I think every time John Cena gets up the Ryback will simply just beat him down with Shellshocks, Meathook Clothesline maybe even some weapons like chairs thrown in. John Cena however I feel will show his “Never Give Up” attitude and will ultimately win but there is no way John Cena will force the Ryback to stay down for the ten count on his own power or anything like that so I feel John Cena will resort to perhaps burying him under a whole load of chairs, ladders, announcer tables, that sort of stuff so the Ryback can't move. I'd say duct tape too but they've already used that finisher with the last Last Man Standing Match. Either way it'll be a victory where they try and portray John Cena as cunning and a genius along the lines of Albertoooo Einstein for beating the Ryback and keeping him down and so continues Cena's yearlong title reign.

HHH vs Brock Lesnar- Steel Cage

The match that nobody really wanted however I'm not going to lie, the last Raw did go some ways in restoring a bit of interest in the match especially when Hunter Hearst Helmsley commented on Paul Heyman's client Brock Lesnar feeling like he is the baddest man around and yet Heyman himself doesn't really believe that and I felt that was interesting because I know he was simply just trying to goad him into getting in the cage with him but I was like "Okay, this could go somewhere".

As for the match itself I think it’ll have to go above and beyond to show us something that we haven’t seen before from the last two matches but I’m thinking that there may be a fair bit of blood here, I know, I know it’s not PG but without blood then it makes Heyman’s initial comment about how it’s time to get old school and extreme and downright dirty pointless. I also think that Brock Lesnar will win but this is more to do with the fact that he has to otherwise I’m looking at this big massive contract that he’s signed with high pay and limited appearances and I’m thinking it’s going to be a waste if you have him lose because then he can’t really be taken as a credible threat with a record of 1 win to 3 losses since returning but you see that’s just logic talking here, I have no idea how HHH’s mind works and what his ego will do but I’m going to stick with a Brock Lesnar win.

Alberto Del Rio vs Jack Swagger- I Quit Contenders Match

The match I was actually most looking forward to…that is when it was a Triple Threat Ladder Match, now it’s an ‘I Quit’ match which for all intent and purposes will essentially boil down to a submission match where instead of tapping out Jack Swagger will say “I Quit”. I say Jack Swagger because until he visibly gets punished for his DUI I really am never sure how far he can go or if he’ll win anything before then. Another reason I’m going with an Alberto Del Rio win from the Cross Arm breaker is that it’ll end up being a face vs heel confrontation with Dolph Ziggler which makes more sense than a heel vs heel matchup with Swagger and Ziggler.

Personally I would have had Ziggler or someone name Big E Langston as an interim champion and go ahead with the ladder match but have Big E Langston successfully defend it and then you have a plethora of avenues to explore from there like have Big E Langston give the belt back to Ziggler and say nothing more about it but he could be growing resentful about it, have him refuse to hand the belt back and have a feud between Ziggler and Langston with either people being able to be the face or heel in this scenario. I can only imagine that the reason why this wasn’t taken was because officials must have thought Big E Langston was too green or whatever but if the Ryback can get a WWE title shot after crushing jobbers why can’t the Ryblack defend Ziggler’s title and make him champion but not really the champion?

Kofi Kingston vs Dean Ambrose- US Title Match

Well this sort of came out of nowhere, umm, I’d like to think that they are giving Kofi a push by giving him the belt but…yeah I don’t think…or rather I hope WWE do not waste The Shield’s current momentum and that they give them belts to hang on to right now so they can take it to the next level rather than growing stale and directionless. Kofi Kingston and Dean Ambrose should put on an interesting match and I’m going to say Dean Ambrose win with help from his Shield buddies who will run interference. For me Antonio Cesaro has already brought a lot of it back but hopefully Dean Ambrose can bring a lot more prestige back into the United States Championship.

Chris Jericho vs Fandango

Really? Chris Jericho and Dolph Ziggler feuding just seemed right as Ziggler was getting prepared to go for a World Heavyweight title run and their clash just seemed a lot more interesting than Fandango and his dancing shtick. Personally if Chris Jericho isn’t going to be given one last run as a champion or something in fact I’d rather he feuded with Wade Barrett if only to bring prestige back to the Intercontinental Championship and at the same time, try to get Barrett over because right now Barrett is doing jack…he even lost to Sin Cara on Main Event for crying out loud. But alas we’re stuck with this, this…travesty of a matchup. After their match at WrestleMania which I didn’t think was anything special I think they’ll put on a better match but it’s like saying getting your arm chopped off is better than getting your leg chopped off, it’s still going to be bad. I see Chris Jericho getting the win by getting Fandango to tap but with Fandango then giving him a beat down after the match and then possibly leading to a match on Raw where he’ll get the win back a bit like what they did with the Ziggler feud.

I also wanted to mention how awesome is was when Y2J gave a callback to his time as the ‘Musical Chairs’ champion and how won ‘Price is Raw’ and how he “outsmarted” Bob Barker, that was funny.

Team Hell No vs The Shield- Texas Tornado Tag Match

As I mentioned earlier about the Shield’s momentum I’m going to add another point and that is it’s either going to be a clean sweep or they’ll win nothing. I can see the storyline potential in one match ending in a win and the other a loss however it can only lead to The Shield falling apart and breaking up and I don’t think that’s the route they’ll want to take just yet so therefore it’s going to be a Shield win here and they’ll do what the Rhodes Scholars should have done at the Royal Rumble. So what next for Team Hell No? I wouldn’t have them split up just yet if only just to have more serious competitors in the tag team division that can pose a legitimate threat to The Shield, The Usos seem to be getting some push what with their appearances as of late but I don’t think that’s enough, I think more serious tag teams are needed if you are going to give Roman Reigns and Seth Rollins a credible title reign as fighting off Tons of Funk, 3MB, Primo and Epico and to some extent Prime Time Players isn’t really going to cut it.

That’s it for my Extreme Rules predictions, just before I finish I’ll make some other quick predictions as well.

When will the Spanish announcer table break?

Probably in the Tornado Tag Match with The Shield performing some move to Kane or Bryan Danielson through it

Will Christian return?

No.

Will CM Punk return?

No, still too early for that

How many times will the WWE App be mentioned?

24 times

Anyway that is all for this entry, hopefully Extreme Rules will be exciting but until then “THAT’S WHAT I DO!”

No comments:

Post a Comment